CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, December 24, 2008

We Survived!

We're back!! I can't believe it, but we are already back from Brazil. The 12 day trip absolutely flew by, and was really fun and full of adventures. There is so much to tell, but I will just share a few of the highlights for now. As a leader, this trip was very different from my past two. Being the leader, everything becomes about my team. I wasn't as worried about whether or not I was engaging in ministry with the kids as I was about my team members engaging. And I wasn't as worried about my safety and comfort as I was about my teams'. It was a truly rewarding experience though. I was worried that I was going to be really anxious during the trip and constantly nagging my team members, but the Lord provided His Peace abundantly! I didn't even get anxious at the airport in customs as I ususally do! My team members kept telling me over and over that they were shocked at how laid back I was, and how encouraging it was for them. So your prayers were answered ten fold...thank you so much!

We were constantly busy during the 12 days we were gone. We got there on Friday, late morning, and went directly to camp. We spent the weekend with 45 11-14 year olds (that's right, middle schoolers!) and taught them about the life of Jesus, and the true meaning of Christmas. On Sunday, we came back into the city of Sao Paulo (which has now reached the staggering population of 20 million people) for our first church service. It was so great to be back with my second family. I truly feel as if I have life long friends there now...I can honestly call them family! Monday through Friday we spent half the day working for the ministry, getting things ready for a really busy weekend. In the afternoons we traveled to different favellas doing our VBS program, which again entailed a skit about the true meaning of Christmas (this was a very common theme throughout our time in Brazil). In this skit, I got to play a busy housewife who has no time to think about the true meaning of Christmas...so fun! I even got to wear an apron! :) Wednesday night we helped to host a graduation ceremony for the English students at the ministry. They had asked us to help make it as "American" as possible, so we brought diplomas and graduation caps for the official tassle ceremony. It was such a fun night of celebration and dancing! On Friday and Saturday nights we were able to help with a live nativity event. It was so awesome...over 700 people came through over the 2 nights. On the first night I was part of the crucifixion scene, as Mary. The second night I was the angel who told Mary she was to bear a child and name him Jesus. It was so fun to dress up in costumes and be a part of great witnessing. I know the Lord will bear fruit from this adventure! Also on Saturday, we threw a Christmas Lunch for 500 kids. It was barely controlled chaos, but so much fun nonetheless. We played games with them and presented another skit on the true meaning of Christmas (haha!), fed them a great Christmas lunch, then passed out Christmas presents and candy. It was such a great time! So as you can see, we were so busy, but loving every minute of it. Trust me...we were spent for the Lord! I just pray that in our tiredness, He was glorified.

I will post more about the trip later, after I have had more time to process all the spiritual growth that happened while we were there. We are having our mission report on Sunday, January 4, so hopefully I will have more to say by then! Thank you again for your prayers...they were felt thousands of miles away. And God used you in a way to be a part of a ministry that is so glorifying to God! Love you all and Merry Christmas (Feliz Natal)!

1 comments:

Sheri said...

So glad to hear that the trip was such a success! We had you in our prayers and thought of you often. Can't wait to hear all the stories!

See you the 2nd week of school! (we'll be at a mission conference in Cali. the first week) Rest up!